Friday, September 7, 2012

Where Did The Last Five Months Go?

It has been a long time since I have blogged. I usually talk about planting my garden, and how it is going. I haven't had very good luck with the peppers or tomatoes this past year, But the beans,lettuce, squash, and onions, have all done well. I canned about 30 pints of beans from a small patch 3 feet by 4 feet. The lettuce has gone to seed. I haven't harvested the onions, I hope they will keep, after I harvest them. Last year my onions lasted until after Christmas. This year I grew the walla walla sweet ones, and I am told they don't keep as well as the yellow ones I grew last year. I take comfort in the fact that my neighbor's tomatoes aren't doing very well this year either, so I think it has been a poor year for them. May also brought some distressing news about my pacemaker/defibrillator that I have. The leads which are attached to my heart through a vein in the heart, have been recalled. Now I was told that it was dangerous to remove them, but the insulation that covers part of the wire could cause problems by coming apart there are three wrappings around these wires. Needless to say I have prayed and thought about this a great deal. I talked to my primary care doctor, and my cardiologist. I looked on the Internet, and that just made it worse. So I decided to get another opinion about it from another cardio doctor. Come to find out my leads at least 2 of them are NOT the Reita brand, and the other needs to be checked a little closer. The FDA wanted to have the cardio docs do a screening every 3 months, and the doctors said what about all of the radiation that the patient is exposed to??? Needless to say the FDA doesn't always think things through. Long story short, mine seems to be working perfectly, according to the ST. Jude technician and he monitors it every 6 months or so anyway. Whew! I decided to quit spending my time being concerned about it. I have about three and one half years left on the pacemaker. When it is worn out they will leave the leads if they are still working properly and put in a new device. We had a wonderful Mothers day party by Nicole, and a birthday party for grandpa by Crystal. I didn't realize they were going to do it. We had my b-day in June and it was great and Sharon and Steve gave us tickets to go to the Williamette Country Music Festival, which was in early August. For the month of July the highlight was the Arnold Family Reunion, which we attended over the 4th and it was really wonderful. We so enjoyed seeing all of our grandchildren and the great grandchildren, not to mention the fireworks, and the great food. So fun. Then home again, jiggity jig and it was kind of a cool month so things namely tomatoes didn't grow. I have been sewing and finished a bed cover for my bed, it is king sized remember and it is really beautiful if I do say so myself. I used the blocks granny Grace gave me years ago. I had it quilted and I worked on it for part of last year and finished it in Feb. I want to make some drapes for the window in the bedroom to match, haven't gotten to it yet. Back to the music festival, it was held in Brownsville which is 26 miles from Eugene, on a big working ranch up there, it was a lot of fun, and it came the middle of August in the hottest heat wave we have had in years, record temperatures of 100 degrees or more, and it was HOT and the sun was out in full force. We drove up each day as the places to stay were all filled in Brownsville( pop a little over 3,000) so very small motel. We went up as it was so hot in the afternoon and had big hats, and lots of sunblock, no shade except for my umbrella. We got to see a lot of really nice shows, the first night Sugarland late at nine, they were okay, although not as good as I expected them to be. The gates opened at 1:00 and the opening was at 6:45 and then we saw Rodney Atkins for an hour and he was my favorite for Friday. Saturday we saw Lee Brice, he is fantastic I loved him. He has written lots of hits. Then Billy Currington he was really great, another songwriter/performer then a special for the heart gallery for foster kids really touching, then on to Martina McBride, she is truly wonderful and it was her first time in Oregon and she couldn't say enough about the beautiful scenery here. Wonderful composer and perfect performer. The next day which was Sunday, we went to church and drove up and saw Amy Clawson really great, then the Band Perry, which I had never heard of, but they were the best rock a billy band I have ever heard, truly amazing. Two brothers and a sister, plus their band, and they all played something also, The sister sang and was joined by her brothers for harmony. They were really great. Big Trace Adkins came last to close out the festival, he is everything that you see on TV, but almost electric on stage, so sincere and just really a sweet man. He is really as unselfish and giving as he appears to be, a true patriot, and a wonderful performer, he really gave us our money's worth. I really loved being there, it took me a few days to recoup, but it was worth it. I would've liked it to be a little cooler. We were grateful we went, thank you Sharon and Steve for the tickets, and they treated us so well, carrying our stuff, chairs,water, food for snaking umbrella and etc for us each day., plus we parked right in front of one of the entrances, with not too far to walk. My summer has been really good, except for the few issues that I have dealt with, but all and all I am doing quite well for my age. We lost my younger Sister in the Spring, and I wrote about her in the little Nellie Blog, however her funeral was truly amazing, such beautiful music, and great talks. The luncheon was amazing, and the tables were beautiful, there were pictures of my sister and her family everywhere. It was beautiful, and they made bookmarks for all who attended courtesy of Jon and Deb Sherry's son and daughter in law. It was a wonderful celebration of her life. Sherry planned all of the talks, and music. I love you all till next time.

4 comments:

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

That was great mom! I loved it! I am so glad you had a good time at the concert. I think concerts are so much fun! I was so relieved about the pace maker! I loved what you wrote about Sherry's funeral, I hadn't heard that. Everyone had bad tomatoes, and I had to pull up 3 of my peppers. Not a great year for gardening the hot crops. I think we just plain had tooo much rain!!! Thats crazy about your beans. Mine did ok. I am hoping next year is better! love you soooo much!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Oh grandma that was such a good blog! That music festival sounded awesome!!! The Band Perry is a new band and it is really cool!!! I love their music! I LOVE MARTINA MCBRIDE!!!!! and I love Rodny Atkins. That's really interesting about Sugar land, I like some of their songs- but- some of them are really depressing and I don't know, something about that band just doesn't float my boat, I can't put my finger on it, but Mike feels the same way. That's interesting they weren't THAT great in real life. What a cool experience!!! You are so lucky! Grandma the pace maker stuff is awful but i'm so glad that it worked out in the end. What a scare. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm so glad that the Cook still live near by so they can do things like that for you. They have always taken such good care of you, I'm so glad they did the parties for you. I love you and miss you.

Danielle said...

That concert festival sounds so great! Clay and I LOVE the band perry. We got my dad the cd for fathers day and he wasn't that into them, so he gave it back to us! Haha! But we were happy cause we didn't have their cd! That's so nice that Nicole and Crystal were able to give you guys parties and stuff. How fun. I'm sorry about all the health issues. I'm so glad that you have the different brand though that isn't having the recall? Love you soooo much!!!

Lizzie said...

Thanks for posting! Now can you can catch up on mine? Haha. I'm so behind. Overwhelming to catch up! I want to see your garden! The music festival sounds wonderful. I'm amazed that you sat through that heat! So hot for Oregon! I love Rodney Atkins. He's my favorite. How stressful about your pacemaker and leads. What a thing to worry about. How wonderful that you decided to just not worry about it anymore and go on. Hopefully that has worked for you. I have a hard time not "stressing out" about things. It was wonderful seeing you guys at the reunion. Of course I wish there was more time. So many people there to visit with that we never see and not enough time! Love you!