Saturday, January 2, 2010

It's A New Brand New Year!

I haven't posted for awhile, and I want to do a positive one and not a whiny one. It has been a tough 3 months. I have gone from feeling so grateful to the depths of despair, thinking I would never walk normally again. It seems a long time in a cast and I really got tired of dragging it around, and now when I go out I wear the fracture walker, which puts my foot and leg in an L shape. Things would have gone so much better if the surgery would've healed well but it didn't and so we are still dealing with a small ulcer to get closed so I can't exercise in the water, and that has been really hard. The reason they have a tough time with stitches in that area of the heel, is there isn't enough flesh to put stitches in so they can hold, and so they put dissolveable stitches in underneah and guess what some of mine didn't disolve. so the doctor, ended up digging some out and now it won't heal. If that isn't enough, I get an infection in the cells and have to take antibiotics for a month, and I get a rash, namely yeast behind the knee because of cast and boot and now I have it on both legs. But in all of this I am grateful for the fact that I am doing my Physical Thearpy and walking better each day, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. In November around a week before Thanksgiving, we had some devastateing news. My beloved sister Sherry got a brain cancer and had surgery, and is now fighting for her life. I thought that with all Amy had gone through and Rebecca's problem and my brother-in-law Victor had a stroke, not to mention Grandpa's bi-laterel hernia surgery, that nothing else could happen. WRONG! Sherry is going to be doing radiation and Chemo at the same time. I think that will be the pits for her. She was 66 on Nov. 11th of this year, and believe me the feelings are the same no matter how old you are you still love those sibling as much as all of you loved Amy. So we are all praying for Vic and this comes on top of it all,and I have a hard time believing it. She called me today, and said she had met with the oncology surgeon and his crew and that the radiologst was really blunt. He told her she could live for 3 months or maybe a year if she is lucky. This made Linda and I really angry, as he isn't God and certainly doesn't have all of the answers. That is what I told Sherry, that she just needed to trust in God and not believe him, My friend Adeline has had cervical cancer for over 20 years and it is in remission for the third time, and they told her she had a year at most, but she says because of the prayers of family and friends and Priesthood blessings she is still here. I just think that you can't give up. We had a great Christmas starting with Amy's celebration and then we went to Ed and Judy's and had Christmas with them. I made a few things but not even close to what I usually make. I was just too tired and sick. I didn't get any presents out to my grand children this year and sent a little money to the great grandchildren this year and the card list was short. Not the usual 200 or so. I had no intenions of decorating anything, but Abe was here working with grandpa and he got my tree down and set it up and Nicole came the next day and she hung all of the ornaments on the tree, and Abe got down all of the snowmen, bears, and santas and so everything was pretty festive. Now I have to take it all down, it is times like these when I wish I had nose twitching power like Samatha so I could get it done in a blink. Wishful thinking. I just read on line or in a magazine that if you want to heal you need to eat lots of protien. I also need to finish this post so I can go to bed, as I continue to make too many typos. I love you one and all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

6 comments:

Lizzie said...

You were up so late typing Grandma!!!! You need to get sleep too! Thanks so much for filling us in. It is so great to hear all about what's going on, even if it is sad news.

I am so sorry about the healing of your surgery. It sounds so frustrating, painful and annoying. So did you end up getting a yeast infection on your legs?

Abe and Nicole are so sweet to get all your decor put up for you. I wish someone were there for you to take it all down and put it away. Shad put all of our decorations away yesterday. I didn't do a thing. He is so good to me. A lot like Grandpa with you.

I'm sorry about Sherry. Even if she is older than Amy, it would still be so hard. You've known her for 60 years, so I can only imagine how close you are to each other.

I miss you like crazy and wish I could see you more often. Tell Grandpa hi. Love-Lizzie

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Oh mom, that was sad. I know that Heavenly Father can heal us if he chooses to, but mom more often than not he doesn't. I think Oncologists are very careful what they say. I don't think they say things like that if it isn't true. That is their life and livelihood. They don't want to get sued so I think they are very careful in both directions, to promise health, or tell you they most likely will die. I think that prayer and fasting is very important, but it only works if that is Heavenly Fathers plan. There are lots of instances where people die and it makes no sense. I would prepare myself mom, and get some peace about her leaving this life. If she gets to live longer that is a blessing, but I would hate to have you not do some of the things with her or for her and regret it later thinking you can pray her alive. I am not saying this to be heartless, I am saying this because I love you and am concerned about you.

I am so sad about your foot. I just don't know what to say except that.

I am glad they got the Christmas stuff down for you, I missed it so much. But I think you should call your grandkids and have them come help you put it back!

I love and miss you!!!!

Megan and Greg said...

Wow Grandma, I've been so caught up on my life that I didn't realize all you've had to deal with this year. I LOVE YOU!!!! I can't believe all the troubles and aftermath of your surgery! I'm glad Nicole and Abe could help you out with your house. I'm glad you're walking again!!! Man, it would be nice to wiggle your nose and all the mess disappears, wouldn't it?! I love you so much! Happy New Year!!!

Danielle said...

Oh grandma. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister! You have been through SO MUCH this year! Hopefully this year will be better. You are such a good sport. I'm sorry your surgery is not healing better. I'm so glad Abe and Nicole helped with decorations. I miss you and love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Grandma!- so good to hear from you!- I'm so sorry you have had to go through this- I wish I lived in Springfield still so I could visit you- BUT- next week, I have a doc app. so I was thinking Mike adn I could come over- I don't remember what time the apt is- so I'll have to get back to you on that- if it's in the day- maybe we could make some sandwhiches and all eat lunch together. I'm so glad Abe and Nichole set up Christmas for you. I am really sorry about Sherry. I could not imagine if a doctor said that to me so bluntly- the doctor told me I had cancer that way- the only way I could justify it in my head is that they probably give this news every day so I guess they forget what it actually means, and forget to be more sensitive about it. I'll pray for her- and- what kind of hats did you want me to make? There are a few different styles. Look back on my hat blogs and tell me which kind you like better. LOve you-

Rebecca said...

Well I'm back Grandma, and with a new blog too. rebeccatheidahogirl.blogspot.com. Thanks for your recent post. I appreciate so much knowing what is happening in your life. It must be so miserable to be "handicapped" as you have been of late, and to be in pain too. I'm so sorry about your sister. I'm glad she has you to love her and call her.

The girls loved their cards and money you sent them, as they always do. The CD in the card you sent me was fun! It was very old fashioned and the girls and I loved it. Love you. Bye.