Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Surgery and Patience

One thing I have learned in the past four days is that I haven't any patience at all and I don't like CLUTTER!!! Ed is the biggest messy person I have ever known. I think his mother taught him. She always had things she was working on laying around everywhere. He uses something and instead of cleaning it and putting it back, he just leaves it where it was used and then has to spend half an hour looking for it when he needs it again. He throws everything on the couch and leaves all of the cabinet doors open, things on the counter, tools stacked where he plans to use them, and on and on. I truly am not complaining, I am just frustrated as we live in a small space and we have to put things back close doors, drawers, and closets, if not everything is a cluttered mess. I can't put things away, at all and so I am having a hard time being grateful, as I guess I have always picked up everything as I go and then I have an orderly house. I am truly grateful that he is so wonderful to fix everything so I can get around in the wheelchair, as I just do not have the stamina to use the crutches to get around the house. He has waited on me, bringing me anything I want or need and I do mean anything. Jumps up from the TV to get me water pills food snacks wash clothes and anything else. Helped me take a shower today and taken me to the doctor, believe me it is endless. I have to prop my leg up to keep the swelling down and to keep the blood clots away and so he is constantly moving pillows covering and uncovering me. I feel sorry for him and I know he is exhausted yet he continues to work. I can see it is going to be a long 6 weeks and I pray that I will be getting around after that, so it will be limited. I will wear this cast for 3 months. So pray for us that we will be able to be PATIENT!!! I think Stormy one of my friends offered to come and sit with me on Thur. and he has a finish to work on so it will give us both a break.
The surgery went well, they had a really great anthologist that convinced me to have a spinal block and a nerve block behind my knee for the pain. I was hesitant but it really was wonderful. The spinal was totally done when they woke me and the knee nerve block for the pain was in place and lasted for about 24 hours. I really appreciated it and the doctor convincing me to do it. It was a good thing as I had to lay on my stomach for 3 hours as the surgeon put a steel plate in the heel as they had nothing to connect the tendon to anymore. So the wound is long and the scar big as he said it took him a half hour to sew it back together. The very best thing about the spinal was that I didn't throw up for days afterward YEA! It takes me at least a week to get over having a general, and I am soooo sick. This was like having a piece of cake. Now if the healing will be just as good and fast I will be one really proud lady. I know that Heavenly Father had a lot to do with all of the things falling into place so well and I am thankful to HIM for all that He has done for me and mine. God bless you all

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

I'm so sorry Grandma!!! It sounds horrible! I can't imagine being in a cast for 6 weeks and not being able to do anything for myself. It would be so frustrating. It's fine that you vented a bit...everyone needs to at times. You and Grandpa are so wonderful. Grandpa sounds so sweet with everything he is doing for you. I am glad that you haven't been sick from the anesthesia. I hope you feel better soon and recover quickly. You are in our prayers.

Danielle said...

Oh Grandma. This all sounds so horrible. I am so sorry you have to go through this! You have such a great attitude though! I'm glad grandpa is being helpful and getting things for you. I love you so much!!!!!!!!! I will be praying for you.

Megan and Greg said...

Oh my gosh Grandma! A wheelchair! On your stomach for 3 hours!!!! All I have been doing is complaining around here and your post is just shutting me up! I'm so sorry all this is happening! Clutter bugs me too! I probly throw out more than I should. We need to come out and see you guys. We've only made 1 trip north the last 2 months. We might be going thru late this month, it's not decided yet. I'll definitely call you before we pass thru. Try to find things to busy you. I love you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I am so happy things went well!!! We are back so I will try to call soon. We have decided to move to the Newport house, so things are exciting and crazy right now. I love and miss you!! I will be coming to the valley this week to take care of Amy, so am hoping to go out to visit while I am there part of the time. I will be coming out on Sunday. Love you!!!